Sunday, March 3, 2013

Girls' Day

The Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri) or Girls' Day is March 3.  That's today.  So why am I so late coming to this game?  My house is filled with dolls.  Every room has at least one doll.  Some have many more.  I also am the mother to two girls.  So why didn't we celebrate Girls' Day?  I am sure that I knew about it at least 14 years ago.  I have no idea.

But it is never too late to start.  And it gives me an excuse to start sharing my dolls.  So in celebration of Girls' Day here is a quick picture of a few of the dolls that live here.


From left to right:
My mother's doll, probably around 1935; a plastic baby doll that my parents picked up at a flea market, I think; another doll that my parents found somewhere (It was a tradition for my dad to give me a doll every year for Christmas);  my guilty pleasure Blythe doll; Betsy McCall doll, around 1962; Raggedy Ann made for me when I went to college, 1973; black doll was a Christmas gift in 1971; another flea market find; Sister Belle by Mattel...she talked...one of the first...gift in 1961 when I had my tonsils removed; Mimi Kirchner doll bought two years ago.

You have no idea the can of worms I have opened here.

No comments:

Post a Comment