Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cheddar and Jalapeno Muffins

What is it about January that makes one want to eat mass quantities of cheese?  This couldn't be good for ones digestive system.  But we have found ourselves doing just that.  There was the Vermont Cheddar Cheese Soup a couple of weeks ago.  I love that soup.  And then, the same weekend, there was Ham and Linguine Casserole (made with the leftover Thanksgiving/Christmas ham...yes, it has been in the freezer...taking up way too much space).  Last weekend I noticed that I had all these little nubs of leftover cheese....and two containers of leftover rice (how did that happen?) and leftover quinoa.  Time for rice cakes...oh my.  Just dump the rice/quinoa, grated cheese, chopped onions (or whatever you have) and an egg (or more depending on how much needs to be bound together).  Make little cakes and fry them up in some canola oil.  So good!!!

And today, while watching the Super Bowl, we will indulge in a treat I have only seen eaten in South Hill, VA....Ritz crackers, sharp cheddar, and sweet onions.  I swear it is just delicious.

All this cheese has made me think of Cheddar and Jalapeno Muffins that I made in August to take to a weekend-long family wedding event in Asheville, NC.  There were lots of people staying in three houses and elsewhere.  I took muffins to help feed the masses.  They were so good and cheesy.


So I need an excuse to make these again.  I always need an excuse for baking.  I can't just have this stuff around the house.  We are going to Brooklyn at the end of the month....on the train...seven of us.  A six-hour train trip means food and drink and lots of fun.  And these muffins will be perfect with a long tall bloody mary :).


No comments:

Post a Comment