Saturday, December 7, 2013

Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad

Less than a week before I had not finalized our Thanksgiving menu.  I knew we would have the old stand-bys...turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, etc....but I was looking for a new side...and not sweet potatoes.  I had considered brussels sprouts and I had considered a kale salad.  While doing something in the kitchen on the Saturday before  I was sort of watching the live Thanksgiving special on the Food Network.  They were making a kale and brussels sprouts salad.  Hmmmmm...

So that was added to the menu.  And it was a hit.  With most people.  It has shredded brussels sprouts, chopped kale, endive, almonds, gorgonzola cheese, and bacon with a mustard viniagrette.  Yum!!  The recipe is here.

I plan to make this for Christmas too.  I will leave out the bacon and add dried cranberries, I think.  There are a few vegetarians in the Christmas group and the red & green colors will be quite festive.  I may sub fennel for the endive too.


No comments:

Post a Comment