Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Summer Challenge

Every other week we get a box of local produce delivered to our house by Dominion Harvest.  The box also includes a dozen fresh eggs and some type of locally produced cheese.  It is sometimes a challenge to use everything in the box.  The latest box included goat cheese, which isn't hard to use but some of it ended up in  Spicy Red Wine Spaghetti...yum!  And I used the sugar snap peas in Bowties with Sugar Snaps, Lemon, and Ricotta.  I still have mustard greens and a ton of broccoli.

There was also a little lavender in the box.  I didn't want that to go to waste.  I remembered a lavender tea cake recipe that I used to make when I had lavender in the yard.


I had everything on hand except yogurt.  I really didn't want to go to the store for yogurt.  I figured that I could substitute sour cream or buttermilk...but I didn't have that either.  The cupboard and the refrigerator were pretty bare.  So I made buttermillk with milk (the last of the milk actually) and vinegar.  It works.

The cake smelled so good cooking.


And tasted so good...especially while it was still warm.


I don't think I ate the whole loaf by myself...but almost.  That is why I only bake occassionally.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! Creative problem solving on your part!

    ReplyDelete