Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wee Folk Doll

Some projects work better than others.  This was not one of my best efforts, mostly because I'm not good at drawing faces.  Actually I'm not good at drawing much of anything, but little bitty faces are especially challenging.  But the idea has potential.


 
This doll is from the book Felt Wee Folk: Enchanting Projects by Salley Mavor.  This is one of the simpler projects in the book.  All the dolls use wooden beads, pipe cleaners (or chenille sticks if you want to get fancy), and embroidery floss.  Most of them have acorn cap caps and the fairy dolls have dresses and wings made from silk flowers (pretty clever).
 
I think this doll looks like a zombie fairy.  She reminds me of the pysanky eggs I made in a class once.  I called them punk pysanky.  I have a problem with detail.
 
But I want to make a pretty little doll, so I will try again.  The next time I will paint the wooden bead first and try painting the features on (instead of using the Sharpie :)).  And I think I will make some of the fancy felt clothes that are on many of the dolls in the book.  Maybe if the clothes are pretty enough noone will look at the face.
 
 



1 comment:

  1. AWWW...she is adorable! Such detail and love the acorn cap. I would not call her a zombie fairy as she just has some heavy eye brows. She just needs a good pair of tweezers!

    ReplyDelete