Sunday, March 11, 2012

Turkey Gumbo

Officially it is called "Leftover Thanksgiving Gumbo"...and that is what it is.  Once a year I make turkey gumbo from the leftover Thanksgiving turkey using Justin Wilson's recipe from his book Homegrown Louisiana Cookin'.


Actually, I call it Angel Food.  It just may be my favorite thing to eat....and believe me I love food....all food.  But this is just absolutely wonderful.  So to mourn the last container which has been taken from the freezer for dinner tonight, I will share.

My brother is responsible for this.  He has been making turkey gumbo longer than I have.  He also makes rabbit gumbo...and probably other kinds of gumbo.  But he lives in rural Virginia and has friends who give him things to eat that I don't have access to.  He also gave me Justin Wilson' cookbook.

This is the recipe.
Leftover Thanksgiving Gumbo

1/2 c.. oil or shortening or bacon drippings                          3 c. okra, sliced 1/2 inch thick (optional)
1 c. all-purpose flour                                                             1 lb.  smoked sausage or andouille sausage,
1 c. chopped onion                                                                      cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 c. choped green onions                                                       Any leftover turkey meat
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper                                                     Louisiana hot sauce or ground cayenne
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley                                                         pepper to taste
1/4 c. chopped celery                                                             1 T. worcestershire sauce
1 gallon stock, more or less, made from leftover                   Salt to taste
      turkey
1 T. chopped garlic
1/2 t. crushed dried mint (I don't use this)

Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat, then add the flour and make a dark roux (I like mine between milk chocolate and dark chocolate color).  This can take as long as 45 minutes.  To the roux add the onion, green onions, bell pepper, parsley, and celery, stirring after each addition, and cook until the onions are clear.  Add 1 cup of the stock and stir well to form a thick paste.  Stir in the minced garlic, then the remaing stock.  Stir in the mint, okra, sausage, and turkey.  Season with hot sauce, worcestershire, and salt;  stir to mix well.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.  Serve over cooked rice sprinkled with file if you didn't use the okra.  Can be frozen.
Makes 6 to 10 servings.

In my last batch I added extra chicken that I had on hand.




This is the beginning of the roux.  I had a long way to go.


And here is the finished product ready to go in the bowl over rice.


It probably doesn't look like much to you...but I promise...it really is amazing.


1 comment: